Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Book Blitz {Excerpt & Giveaway} Midnight Runes by by Celeste Buie


Midnight Runes (The Bestowed Ones, #1)
Release Date: 05/21/14

Summary from Goodreads:
WHEN YOUR FUTURE’S AT STAKE, DO YOU FOLLOW YOUR HEAD OR HEART?

Brynn Emerson has always been in control of her life—until a mysterious stranger invades her dreams and her boyfriend, Trevor, suddenly dumps her.

Life gets more complicated when secretive newcomer Landon shows up at school. The playful and handsome Landon is somehow connected to Brynn’s ex-boyfriend.

Determined to find out how they know each other, Brynn draws closer to Landon…only to realize too late that she's risking more than she thought possible.

Meanwhile, a person of power has his sights on Brynn. Will Trevor and Landon work together to keep her safe? Or will she be pulled against her will into their mysterious world?



Excerpt
Elyse told us that Jared had showed up with a dozen of her favorite flowers, fire-and-ice roses. Then she showed us the small gold heart dangling from the dainty necklace Jared had bought her. They had gone to a local, family owned Italian restaurant for dinner.
My phone chimed. It was Trevor, texting to say he was free. I responded to meet me here.
I caught Elyse’s eye as I put my phone away.
She raised her eyebrows.
I nodded. “He’s on his way. Something came up.”
“Oh, well, I’m glad he’s available now,” she offered. I knew she was just as upset as I was about his behavior. She didn’t like seeing me hurt.
Just before the sun set, the fire pit roared to life—the result of using a bit too much lighter fluid. I roasted and ate marshmallows until I was full, then rejoined the group. I felt the absence of the heat from the fire when I walked away, and I picked up my sweatshirt. I threaded my arms through the sleeves and prepared to pull it over my head when movement in the shadows at the far edge of the property caught my eye. I froze with my arms in the sleeves, my hands holding the neck open. The light barely reached the dark trees. My eyes strained to distinguish shadows from branches. I blinked.
The silhouette of a person stood between the trees.
“Hey, Brynn! Your man’s here,” Elyse taunted.
I spun around.
“Decided to come without me?” Trevor teased.
I mumbled something and turned back toward the tree line, scanning for the shape. Of course I couldn’t spot it…him?…again. It seemed like the shadow of a guy.
“I thought you’d be happier to see me.” I felt Trevor’s arms go around my waist as I turned to face him.
I reached up on my tip-toes and gave him a quick kiss. “I am. I just thought I saw someone back there.”
Trevor’s hands grabbed my shoulders and gently pushed me back so he could see my face. His medium build frame was strong enough to hold me without letting me fall. “Back there, just now?” he asked, inclining his head to the back of the yard. I noticed his hair. Usually he kept his sandy hair slightly wild, but it was short. It made him look older, more sophisticated.
I nodded and finished putting my sweatshirt on. “Your hair cut looks good. It’s a nice change.”
Trevor brushed past me with fury in his blue eyes.
I trailed after him to the lowest section of the patio; it curved out into the yard. He scanned the trees and stared hard where I had spotted the lurking figure.
He started to step off the dry patio onto the water-logged lawn, but I grabbed his arm.
“Trev,” I said.
He turned around.
“I have to check this out, Brynn,” he said.
“Why?”
“Don’t you think it’s weird someone’s out there?” he said, using his other hand to remove mine.
“I do, but why is it up to you to check it out?”
“It just is.”
His footsteps made soft, squishy sounds on the grass, and his jeans absorbed some of the standing water.
I started after him.
“Stay here, Brynn. I’ll be fine,” he shouted over his shoulder as he stalked toward the spot.
“This is ridiculous,” I said. “You’re not going by yourself.”
Trevor continued walking, but it was his voice that froze me in my spot.
I stood on the very edge of the patio, rooted in place, watching him walk toward the dark corner and disappear from view. I blocked out the music and voices behind me. I needed focus to hear if there was a struggle. I couldn’t let anything happen to him.
I don’t know how long I stood there—it seemed like an hour, but only minutes passed before he sauntered back into the clearing.
I kept an eye over his shoulder since he didn’t seem to care to watch his back. He shrugged a shoulder. “It was just a neighborhood kid who wanted to sneak away from his house and smoke. There’s nothing to worry about.”
I gave the area a last glance. The profile had seemed much bigger than a kid. “Is he going to come out?”
“He’s not invited.”
We rejoined the group. If anyone noticed what Trevor did, they didn’t bring it up. I pretended to be invested in the conversation. His explanation seemed reasonable, even if it didn’t sit right with me. I’d always known how Trevor felt, whether he was anxious, happy, stressed, or deceitful—like he was in this case. It had been a natural evolution of our relationship, and he’d teased me relentlessly about it…part out of resentment of invading his emotions, part out of curiosity of how I could. Plus, with his recent behavior, I no longer took what he told me without question, and I constantly checked what he said against how he felt.
I checked the woods multiple times that night. I couldn’t be positive, but I was pretty sure I spotted the form back there a few times, trying to blend in with the shadows. Quiet. Still. Observing.
Not once was there the unmistakable glow of a lit cigarette anywhere around his body.



Available from:

About the Author
I live in Michigan with my husband, our two sons, daughter-on-the-way, and huge adopted dog. We've lived in three cities within this beautiful state and have visited many of the places mentioned in the Bestowed Ones' series. One of the most adventurous things I've done is horseback ride across the state on the Lake to Lake trail. I love traveling, giving back to the community, and taking on all forms of creative projects.

Author Links:
 photo iconwebsite-32x32_zps1f477f69.png  photo icongoodreads32_zps60f83491.png  photo iconfacebook-32x32_zps64a79d4a.png
***GIVEAWAY***
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Book Blitz Organized by:


No comments:

Post a Comment