Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Book Tour {Interview & Giveaway} Sex, Lies, and Snickerdoodles by Wendy Delaney


Cozy Mystery – 300 Pages

SYNOPSIS

Everybody’s got a secret.

A secret crush. A secret liaison. A secret recipe. And for a deadly few, a secret murder.

Port Merritt’s favorite bad boy, Russell Falco, was a seasoned veteran of secret liaisons. But after his body washes up on the shore of Merritt Bay, Deputy Coroner and human lie detector, Charmaine Digby, suspects one of those liaisons got Russell killed.

Secrets. Lies. Cookie-baking rivals. And a dead guy. Char’s on the case and is determined to find the killer . . . if the killer doesn’t find her first!


Purchase Links

About the Author


Wendy Delaney writes fun-filled cozy mysteries and is the author of Sex, Lies & Snickerdoodles, the second book in her Working Stiffs Mystery series. A long-time member of Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, and Romance Writers of America, she’s a Food Network addict and pastry chef wannabe. When she’s not killing off story people she can be found on her treadmill, working off the calories from her latest culinary adventure. Wendy makes her home in the Seattle area with her husband and has two grown sons. You can connect with Wendy on Facebook and via her website: www.wendydelaney.com.

Interview

How long have you been writing?
Quite a long time! I discovered that I liked to write back in my early high school days, but like a lot of people I put my dreams aside to pursue a more “serious” career that would supply a regular paycheck. Then, seventeen years ago I discovered some authors whose “voices” I loved, and I decided that I’d put my dream on hold for long enough. I took lots of classes, attended lots of writing conferences, and now (finally!) my dream of becoming a published author of the type of stories that I enjoy reading has come true.

What made you like to write?
I was rather shy back in school, but once my teachers started encouraging me to express myself in my writing, I think something sparked – a “yes, I can do this” kind of feeling. From speaking with a number of other authors I know we can be an insecure lot and often vacillate between feelings of “I can do this” and “what made me think I could ever do this?” But it was that initial spark that stuck with me, plus my love of stories that made me want to write.

Who is your favorite author and why?
Oh my, I have a long list of favorites. I love Janet Evanovich for her humor and for creating characters who I view as friends. Linda Howard for her storytelling and her fabulous characters. Other favorites: JA Konrath, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Ann Charles. My list could go on and on.

What are your favorite things to do besides writing?
I’m a huge football fan (go Seahawks!) so if the Seahawks are playing my butt is planted in my seat at the game or in front of the tube. Other than that I don’t watch a lot of TV with the exception of Castle and Game of Thrones. When I’m not on a book-related deadline, my husband and I like to travel. Our goal over the next few years is to visit every state in the U.S., that is, when we’re not doting on our new granddaughter!

What is your favorite scene to write?
My favorite scenes are ones in which I can mine for humor. My Working Stiffs Mystery series is populated with a number of opinionated oldsters who I love, a hunky cop/boyfriend, and a high maintenance, B-list actress/mother. Charmaine, my sleuth, interacts with them all, much to my delight. Truly, whenever she’s in a scene with one of these characters, I’m smiling as I write.

Who designed the book cover?
Adam Linstad, my talented cover artist, takes the bones of my ideas for the cover and then transforms them into a fun story image. I love his artwork and am thrilled to have him design my covers.

Who is your favorite character in your book and why?
Like a proud mom I love all my “children,” but if I can only pick one it has to be Charmaine Digby. I think she’s smart and funny, and she has a sense of daring that I envy. Maybe that’s why she’s the sleuth and I’m the writer. LOL!

When did you start writing?
I got serious about writing in 1997. Then, eight years ago I became especially serious about writing cozy mysteries. Soon after I met a “human lie detector” online, I started developing Charmaine’s character and realized I had a sleuth I would enjoy working with for many years, and the Working Stiffs Mystery series was born!

How many books did you write before you were published?
I wrote three books along with dozens of story partials that never got off the ground. I learned lessons from all of them—sometimes the valuable lesson of what not to do! But during this process I discovered that the activity of writing is a lot like physical exercise to build muscle. So, I like to think of the time that I invested prior to writing Trudy, Madly, Deeply (book one in my series) as building writing muscle. And it’s a good thing because I expect to be writing Working Stiffs cozy mysteries well into my dotage and who needs literary osteoporosis!?!

Thank you, Kelly, for the fun interview questions! I always love to chat about writing and the writing process.

Author Links
Facebook Wendy Delaney
Goodreads Wendy Delaney

Giveaway
One Print Copy

No comments:

Post a Comment