The phone was on its third ring from an unknown number. Sarah strongly suspected it was Ben, though, and she acknowledged to herself that she had maybe five seconds to decide before it rolled over to voicemail.
Swiping the screen, she gave a breathy, “Hello.”
Silence. She counted to five.
“Hello?” This one was not so breathy. More irritated.
Silence. She counted to five one. More. Time. Then she was hanging up.
“Hello?!”
“Hi, Sarah, it’s Ben.”
She felt the tension leave her body that she had not realized was there.
“Hi, Ben,” she whispered. Boy, this was sure awkward.
“How are you?” he asked so quietly she could barely hear him.
“I’m doing good. How are you?”
“I’m doing good, too.”
She took a deep breath and said, “We suck at this, don’t we?”
He responded with laughter, and it sounded beautiful to her ears. She had never heard him laugh before. “Yeah,” he agreed, no longer whispering. She could hear him just fine now. “We kind of do suck at this. Did Rin tell you why I’m calling?”
“No, even though I asked her. She said that we needed to learn to talk to one another without help.”
He sighed. “Rin’s right.”
More silence.
“So, what did you want to ask me, Ben?” Sarah prompted.
“I, uh. I. Well. I wanted to know if you and Amber would like to go with me to hear Crystal sing at Oktoberfest.”
Did Ben just ask her on a date? Was it a date if your child was with you?
“Uh, Sarah?”
“Yes, sorry. Yes. I was trying to figure out if you just asked me on a date.”
“I’m pathetic. I must be horrible at this if you didn’t know I was asking you on a date,” Ben said, chuckling.
“No! No, you’re not. It’s just that no one has asked me for a date since before I was pregnant with Amber. And I wasn’t sure if it was a date since I don’t know if people take kids on dates. It’s OK.”
And more silence.
“So, do you?” he asked.
“Do I what?” she replied.
“Do you and Amber want to go on a date with me…”
“Yes,” she interrupted. “Yes. Amber and I would very much like to go on a date with you.”
“OK. I’ll pick you up at 5 PM on Saturday if that’s OK?”
“It’s perfect. See you then.”
“See you then.”
kickoff at Silver Dagger Book Tours
A Pinch of Bookdust
Apr 21
Word Processor, Romance, Cats, Kids and Creed
Scrupulous Dreams
Apr 22
Jayne Townsley | Writing with Fire
My Plans Are Booked
Apr 23
Cover Love Book Blog
Lady Hawkeye
Apr 25
Romance Novel Giveaways
Apr 26
#BRVL Book Review Virginia Lee Blog
The Book Dragon
Apr 27
Literary Gold
The Bookshelf Fairy
Apr 28
Craving Lovely Books
The Faerie Review
Apr 29
Musings From An Addicted Reader
Twisted Book Ramblings
Apr 30
Maggie Blackbird
Books a Plenty Book Reviews
May 3
Sylv.net
May 4
Insane Books
May 5
Character Madness and Musings
May 6
Momma Says: To Read or Not to Read
Girl with Pen
May 7
Books all things paranormal and romance
Inside the Insanity
May 8
Nicole's Book Musings
May 9
Tina Donahue - Heat with Heart
May 10
Sapphyria's Book Reviews
Writing Dreams
May 11
Books, Authors, Blogs
Book Corner News and Reviews
May 12
4covert2overt ☼ A Place In The Spotlight ☼
Stormy Nights Reviewing & Bloggin'
May 13
❧Defining Ways❧
The Sexy Nerd 'Revue'
May 14
Book Lovers 4Ever
ⒾⓃⓉⓇⓄⓈⓅⒺⒸⓉⒾⓋⒺ ⓅⓇⒺⓈⓈ
May 17
Birdie Song's Blog
eBook Addicts
May 18
Bedazzled By Books
Midnight Book Reader
May 19
Sharon Buchbinder Blog Spot
Teatime and Books
May 20
BookishKelly2020
Valerie Ullmer | Romance Author












No comments:
Post a Comment