

Aenya's destiny could cost her freedom.
After years of compulsory training to become an elite warrior, sixteen-year-old Aenya plans to run away with her friend Lewin. However, her plans crumble when she is chosen to be Elriyon’s new figurehead and wife to the future ruler, Rieve.
But Aenya has a secret: she is a Darcara—one chosen by elusive dragon-like beings, the Dargun, to receive the wisdom that once governed her people.
When the current rulers decide to stop a growing rebellion by killing the remaining Dargun, Aenya flees to Elriyon’s mysterious interior. Still, the Dargun’s words burn into her mind. They have a new task for her: return to her people and speak the truth, no matter the cost.
With escape close at hand, Aenya must choose between a dangerous calling or finally being free.
“Do you know what this is?” His tone is gentle. “Do you draw like this often?”
“No,” I lie and then grimace in fury at myself, remembering I just said it was a habit.
“A Darcara, Aenya. You’re a Darcara.” He is delighted, not thinking for a moment that I already know this.
“A what?” I try.
“You are communicating with the Dargun.”
“No, I’m not.”
He brings his lamp even closer. A shiver runs through him. It’s obvious he is gleaning some of the vision’s thrill. “You saw this, right? In your mind. We have a book in the Library. It has pictures like this in it. Well not like this.”
Why? Why would they give me a vision this powerful now, tonight? Why would Rieve come in at this moment to undo everything?
“I don’t think so,” I say, too fast and too loud.
He stares at me, pressing, and I am unable to remain stone-faced.
“Rieve, it’s late.” I try to redirect him, but he won’t be redirected. “Please, just—”
He rises and puts a hand on my shoulder, a gesture of comfort, but I wince. “Don’t be afraid. It will be all right. This is going to make everything better, you’ll see. Can you talk back? Ask them where they are?”
He bends again, not waiting for an answer and runs his fingers over the ink. I cringe, feeling defiled.
“You and I will forever be the greatest Rulers Elriyon has ever seen.”



Paperback of Heir of Elriyon by K. Michele Moseley, a set of two loose-leaf teas, a set of character art, and a bookmark (US Only)
Ends September 29, 2021


No comments:
Post a Comment