A themed book tour through Prism Book Tours.
A Perfect Secret
(Rogue Hearts #3)
by Donna Hatch
Adult Historical Romance
Paperback, 348 Pages
December 14 2013
(Rogue Hearts #3)
by Donna Hatch
Adult Historical Romance
Paperback, 348 Pages
December 14 2013
Desperate to protect her father from trial and death, Genevieve breaks off her engagement with Christian Amesbury and marries a blackmailer. After a year of marriage, she flees her husband's violent domination only to have fate bring her back to Christian. Just when she thinks she's started a new life of safety and solitude, her husband tracks her down, stalks her, and threatens everyone she loves.
Still brokenhearted over Genevieve's betrayal a year ago, Christian can't believe she's come back into his life--and worse, that she's done it on the anniversary of his brother's death, a death that haunts him. Though tempted to throw her back into the river where he found her, he can't leave her at the mercy of the terrifying man she married.
When her husband torments Genevieve and puts his family in danger, Christian will do anything to protect those he loves...anything except give Genevieve another chance to break his heart.
My passion for writing began at the tender age of 8 and I’ve been hooked ever since. Of course, I also wanted to be an actress and a ballerina, but one out of three isn’t bad, right?
In between caring for six children, (7 counting my husband), my day job, my free lance editing and copy writing, and my many volunteer positions, I manage to carve out time to indulge in my writing obsession. After all, it IS an obsession. My family is more patient and supportive than I deserve.
Website - Blog - Goodreads - Facebook - Amazon
Guest Post


Guest Post

In a recent survey, 80% of people who called themselves avid
readers listed historical novels as one of their top three favorite types of
books to read. I wasn’t really surprised, since historical
fiction, especially historical
romance fiction, is my favorite genre. But it got me thinking; why the
broad appeal?
First, historical novels provide a fantastic escape. When life
gets stressful, the first thing I like to do is pick up a novel. When I read a
historical novel, I am transported to another place and time, to a setting so
completely different from my reality, that it feels like a vacation without the
hassle and expense of travel. Immersing myself into someone else’s life and
seeing them triumph over all gives me a lift that lasts long after I close the
book. Total escapism can and does happen with modern-day novels, but the less
the book contains about present-day issues, the better an escape it provides.
Plus, historical fiction lends itself to lovelier, more lyrical writing that
modern day or futuristic novels often lack.
Second, historical novels appeal to the closet history buff.
Most authors pride themselves on careful research—myself included—so we put a
great deal of effort into getting our facts straight. I know an attorney who
loves learning about the Napoleonic Wars and has an entire wall in his library
devoted to books—both fiction and nonfiction—about that particular war. I have
other friends who adore Jane Austen era novels, so they devour any books set in
the Jane Austen Era or the Regency Era. As a Regency romance author, I continue
to extensively research English history, particularly the early 1800’s, so I
can create a virtual trip through time. Having my facts straight is not just a
pretty backdrop for my stories; the manners and mores of society helped shape
people who lived in that time, both those who embraced customs of the time, and
those who challenged them.

Third, historical novels help teach others about a particular
time in history. Many school teachers incorporate historical novels into their
curriculum in addition to non-fiction. Adding historical fiction novels helps
round out students’ education, gives students a personal, up-close look at
history as seen through the eyes of the characters, and it blends history into
a story with larger-than-life characters which helps bring the past to vivid,
colorful life.
How many of us learned more about the Civil War watching or
reading Gone with the Wind than we ever learned in American
History class? If Georgette Heyer and other great historical authors had
never taken an interest English history—specifically the Regency Era—most of us
would never have heard of the Regency Era, or why it was such a unique and
important time in history.
When I was researching pirates for my pirate novel, The
Guise of a Gentleman, I
read many non-fiction books about pirates—Blackbeard in particular—and took a
detailed on line class about pirates and ships and sailing. Lastly, to fill in
the blanks, I read several novels about pirates and about sea captains from the
1600's to the 1800's. All of this helped provide a solid base upon which I
could build my pirate story with confidence that I had the knowledge to not
only portray the life of a pirate aboard a ship, but also get into their minds
and figure out what drove them to their chosen lives.
I love many things about historical fiction, but I
suppose it comes right down to the people who lived in that time. This may be a
skewed and romanticized vision, but I see the people who live long ago as being
more honorable than we are today. In Regency England, duty and honor were
everything. If a man said he’d do something, especially if he gave his word, he
meant it, and others could count him to follow through, even if it came a great
personal cost.
I love the way people in Regency England spoke so eloquently.
The upper classes didn’t maul the language—they used correct grammar and had an
enormous vocabulary. They also prized wit and excelled in using the
understatement. Jane Austen novels are almost like poetry. She carefully chose
each word for its beautiful wording, imagery, and rhythm.
By the Georgian and Regency Eras, men and women alike were
educated and could read, compute complex mathematics, speak multiple
languages—French and Latin in particular—and loved philosophical debates. They
were also very cultured. From a young age they were taught to dance, play
music, sing, and recite poetry.
Men in many historical eras were civilized and treated women
with courtesy by standing up when a lady entered the room, doffed their hats,
curtailed their language, offered an arm, bowed, and a hundred other little
things I wish men still did today. But they were also very athletic; they
hunted, raced, fenced, boxed, rode horses. They were manly. Strong. Noble.
Resolute. Honorable. I love that about them! And that makes them perfect heroes
for both historical fiction and historical romance novels.
Historical Fiction, along with all its subgenres, whether it’s
Medieval, Georgian, Regency, Victorian, or any other historical time, is a
here-to-stay genre. And I, for one, am sooo glad!
Tour-Wide Giveaway
- Grand Prize: $20 Amazon gift card and an ebook (INT) or print copy (US Only) of A Perfect Secret OR The Stranger She Married (winner's choice)
- 5 ebooks of A Perfect Secret
- Open Internationally
- Ends July 20th





No comments:
Post a Comment