A themed tour through Prism Book Tours.

Amid the sumptuous backdrop of the London Season in 1905, headstrong Katherine Sinclair must join the ranks of debutantes vying for suitors. Unfortunately for Katherine, she cannot imagine anything more loathsome – or dangerous. Through her late mother’s enchanted journal, Katherine receives warning to keep hidden her otherworldly ability to perform Arcana, a magic fueled by the power of the sun. The machinations of the fashionably elite are a constant threat, but worse still are those who covet Katherine’s Arcana, seeking the power of her birthright. They could be hiding behind the façade of every suitor, even the darkly handsome Earl of Thornewood. With so much danger and suspicion, can she give her heart to the one who captivates her, or is he just another after her power?
Or, would you like a special personalized/autographed copy of Arcana? You can purchase one from Fiction Addiction HERE.
Guest Post
(This is how I’ve always imagined
Lord Thornewood looking like)
1. There's something almost magical about an attractive
woman. She will wrest your attention from anything else in the room, cause
everything to fall away as though it is only the two of you in the universe,
and inevitably make you forget your own name. Katherine wasn't attractive. She
was captivating--and that was before she had the audacity to mock
me.
2. I will admit to bating her. Once she made it abundantly
clear how little she thought about my title, I couldn't resist seeing how she'd
respond to sarcasm. I hoped against hope she wouldn't resort to false
apologies, and she didn't disappoint.
3. Our sharp banter was the highlight of my miserable week.
It was no secret that I vastly preferred my country estate to my cold, dreary
London townhouse, and the constant harassment by scheming mothers had made me
consider abandoning my promise to Lord Sinclair on more than one occasion. If
Katherine heard my complaints on the subject, I have no doubt she'd say,
"Oh yes, how trying it must be for you to be introduced to so many
beautiful young women." And that is one of the many reasons I love her.
4. Even after our first conversation had ended, I couldn't
stop looking at her. I noticed something different with every glance: the
slimness of her fingers, the delicate way she ate, her quiet observation of
others and her obvious love and pride for her sister.
5. I lied to her when I said I was merely being polite in
offering her my arm. I had to touch her--as though compelled. Her hand
was so light on my arm, it felt like a bird threatening to take flight at any
moment.
6. And then she played the piano. It's no secret I have a weak
spot for music--I have an ear for it, but little understanding of the mechanics
of it. When Katherine sang, it was as though I was caught in a
spell--everything but her faded away, the music so desperately enchanting that
I would have happily listened to it until I withered away to nothing.
7. So when she fled the room immediately after, I cursed all
the laws of society that said I could not follow her, that giving her that much
attention so soon after we met would only harm her reputation. I'm embarrassed
to say that I couldn't stop myself from asking about her, for in her absence, I
was desperate to know more about her.
8. I showered her with my sincerest compliments the moment I
saw her again, but it only made her distrustful and nervous. I therefore fell
back on what had worked so wonderfully before: teasing banter that made her
eyes flash and her lips curl so enticingly. She met me quip for quip, and I'd
never been happier.
9. But when she announced she was leaving, I was surprised
by the depth of my disappointment. It's usually with profound relief that I
watched a young debutante walk away, so tiring is her company, but with
Katherine, I nearly stooped to begging her to stay.
10. Just before we parted for the night, I had a maddening
thought in my head of what she would do--what would everyone do?--if I kissed
her? I had to settle for kissing her hand instead, but her racing pulse was
reward enough. Maybe I did have a chance.
And here's the original scene, from Katherine's perspective:
A commotion at the door draws my attention. The two watchful
girls are tittering excitedly, but a wide woman with an even larger hat blocks
my view. She shifts to the right, and then I see him. Dressed almost entirely
in black, in an elegantly cut tail-coat and top hat, stands a man I can only
assume to be the earl.
I’m staring. Every bit as rudely as the two girls who waited
so eagerly for him. He is handsome in the same way the sea crashing against
rock or snowcapped mountains are beautiful: in a way you can’t help but stare
at. I need to look down, look anywhere but at him before he catches me.
I glance at Lucy, and her eyebrows rise. Something draws my
eyes back to him, and now that he’s closer, I get a better look. Thick, dark
hair, even darker eyes, and a strong jaw. Heat flushes my cheeks and my heart
pounds as though I am in mortal danger.
Evidently the wide woman with the hat is related to the two
girls, because she is quick to shoo them over to make introductions. But
instead of waiting for her to do so, the earl continues forward as if he
doesn’t see her. I cringe with vicarious embarrassment as the woman follows
him.
“My lord,” she says to his back, “please allow me to
introduce my daughters, Misses Jane and Mary Everley.”
He stops and turns toward the woman, and her whole face
lights up. For one horrible moment, I fear he means to ignore them, but then he
bows stiffly. “How do you do.”
The mother immediately recounts every one of her daughters’
accomplishments in nearly one breath. Lord Thornewood watches her with an
expression that is not unlike Robert’s when he’s been cornered by Harriet—only
the earl’s is more exasperated and less pained. The lady is either one of those
unfortunate breed of people who are blissfully unaware of social cues, or she
is so determined she chooses to ignore the earl’s obvious disinterest.
When she finally stops to draw breath, Lord Thornewood bows
to her girls and says, “You must excuse me.”
Before anyone else can set upon him, Lady Hasting draws our
attention. “My dear guests, the first course will be served if you would be so
good as to follow me to the dining room.”
She leads us to an adjacent room, one decorated in shades of
gold and red. An ornate crystal chandelier hovers above the table, its light
creating lovely prisms upon the walls. The table itself is covered with more
crystal, fine china, and silverware than I have ever seen. At regular intervals
is an ornate floral arrangement bursting with fresh flowers, greens, and fruit.
Our names are written elegantly upon small cards, and Lucy and I find to our
mutual relief that we have been seated together.
“My lord,” Lady Hasting says to Lord Thornewood, “We’ve
saved you the seat of honor at the head of the table, just there.” She points
to the seat next to mine, and I widen my eyes at Lucy.
His face lacks expression as he takes in the room. I try to
avert my gaze as his eyes rove over me, but I’m too late. We lock eyes, and I
feel the pulse in my neck throb. Why must he be so handsome? He turns back to
Lady Hasting. “Yes, that will do. Thank you.”
She beams like he’s told her this was the best assembly of
his life and leads him to his chair. He sits beside me, and I don’t dare look
at him. My physical reaction is much too worrisome.
Grandmama, though, has other plans. “My lord,” she says,
materializing at his side, “I believe your late father was good friends with my
son, the Viscount of Bransfield.” A pause, and then she adds, “Allow me to
introduce his daughter, the Honorable Katherine Sinclair.”
My heart is pounding as if I’ve just returned from riding. I
meet his hooded gaze. “How do you do.”
“Pleased to make your acquaintance,” he says, his voice deep
and rich as red wine. Something stirs inside me at the sound.
“And his youngest daughter, the Honorable Lucy Sinclair,”
she says, and his eyes slide over to my little sister. When they quickly return
to me, I feel a blush creep up my neck.
The footmen bring steaming bowls of soup with fresh bread,
and though the tendrils of steam bring the smell of cream and mushrooms to my
nose, I find I have little appetite. All eyes are on the earl as he lifts his
spoon to his mouth. With a nod, he says to Lady Hasting, “It’s very good.”
A collective sigh, and then everyone returns to their own
meal, chattering excitedly.
I lean toward Lucy. “How utterly absurd.” My quiet tone is
drowned out by the sounds of laughter, silverware clinking against porcelain,
and music. “You’d think King Edward himself walked in.”
Lucy giggles behind her hand, and I take a sip of soup.
“I am afraid only a mere earl would attend such a dull
affair as this,” Lord Thornewood says, and a sick feeling washes over me. A
glance at his face reveals nothing.
I should apologize profusely, but instead, my mouth runs
away with me. “My lord could not possibly have ascertained my meaning,
especially as I was speaking only to my sister.”
His spoon pauses on its way to his mouth, and he puts it
back in his bowl. “Perhaps you would do well not to speak to your sister about
the person sitting close enough to smell your perfume.”
“You are exaggerating. I am not even wearing perfume.” I
should stop talking now. Why am I still talking?
He takes a sip of his soup, his eyes on me. “Do you mean to
tell me you naturally smell of such an enticing scent?”
My eyes widen. Surely he couldn’t be flirting with me. But
then why does my pulse suddenly jump as he looks at me with his dark eyes? “Is
it not true the fairer sex, by their very nature, should smell pleasantly?”
“You answer a question with a question. How very diplomatic
of you. But you are lucky tonight, Miss Sinclair. I feel very generous.” He
grins, and the look is so rakish, I remember the words of my mother’s letter.
I stiffen. How easily I let myself be taken in by him. He is
exactly the sort of man my mother warned me about, of this I am sure.
“Have I offended you?” he asks, but his face reveals not a
shred of contrition. “I shouldn’t be surprised. You young debutantes are all
just a bundle of emotions in pretty packaging.”
“Are we indeed? I dare say it’s assertions like that which
result in ambitious mamas parading their carefully groomed daughters before
unappreciative men.”
A spark of amusement appears in his dark eyes. “You seek to
prove me wrong then?”
“Perhaps if I had any interest in the game, I would trouble
myself to take on such an endeavor. Unfortunately, I do not.”
Before he can respond, a footman leans in to clear away our
soup. This break in our conversation is all the beautifully dressed lady seated
to Lord Thornewood’s right has been waiting for, and she deftly draws him into
the discussion she and the other ladies seated across from us have been having
on their recent trip to Bath.
I look over at Lucy, who is engaged in a discussion of her
own with the young girl seated next to her. They are good-naturedly arguing the
merits of oil versus water-color painting, and since I know very little about
either, I return my attention to the rich food before me. So determined are the
other ladies to keep Lord Thornewood’s attention, I manage to avoid talking
with him for the rest of dinner, though every so often, I see his eyes drift in
my direction.
Once dessert has been cleared away, Lady Hasting stands.
“Since there are so few gentlemen in attendance here tonight, I thought we
would all retire to the drawing room.”
Everyone nods happily at this, for they wouldn’t want to
miss the chance to remain in the earl’s presence. Lucy and I stand, and Lord
Thornewood offers an arm to us both. Lucy accepts with a shy smile, and after
only a moment of hesitation, I take it as well.
I look up to find Lord Thornewood watching me with
amusement. “You needn’t worry. Offering you my arm is merely polite—not part of
the game you mentioned earlier.”
I flush, chagrined and already half-regretting my waspish
words.
He leads us to a lovely cream-colored sofa closest to the
grand piano. “If you’ll excuse me,” he says once we’re seated, “I believe I
will need a cocktail before this evening is over. May I ask the servants to
bring you anything?”
We both shake our heads no, and I try rather unsuccessfully
to prevent my eyes from following his broad back as he seeks out a footman.
“He is unbelievably handsome,” Lucy says with almost a sigh.
Guard your heart, my darling, Mamma’s words warn in my mind.
“Dangerously so,” I say, and Lucy gives me a sharp look.
“Do you think he is . . .” her words trail away, but her
meaning is clear. Is he one of them?
“I have no reason to believe he is, but then, I know no more
of what to look for than you do.”
“But surely a friend of Papa’s can be trusted,” Lucy says,
her expression hopeful.
“I hope so, too, Luce,” I say. “It’s a pity they do not wear
some sort of identifying mark—a name badge, perhaps?”
She grins. “A garish pin of the sun upon their bow ties?”
“Miss Sinclair,” Lady Hasting calls, “your grandmother tells
me you are rather skilled at the piano. Would you be so kind as to play
something for us?”
I glance at the gleaming instrument longingly. I know I
shouldn’t, but as it so often does, the music calls to me. “She has most likely
exaggerated my talents, madam, but I will be glad to play for you.”
My mother’s music is, once again, itching to be played, but
I cannot—not here. Instead, I play an Irish ballad I’ve always loved. It’s a
bold and dramatic song, and I play with intense focus, my eyes never leaving
the keys.
I’m halfway through when the wide woman who greeted Lord
Thornewood calls out to me. “My dear Miss Sinclair, do you not sing? That song
you play is quite nice, but it needs a strong voice to complement it.” She
turns to the somber lady beside her. “Both my girls sing and play beautifully.”
“Yes, madam,” I say when she returns her gaze to me, “but
I—”
“Then by all means, sing. It will greatly liven our little
party here.” She gives me a knowing smile. She must think me an incompetent
singer.
With an acidic smile in her direction, I let the movement
I’m on blur into the first before singing the opening lyrics. I know it’s wrong
to let a stranger goad me into this, but my pride often overshadows my good
sense.
As I move into the verses, I allow myself to glance up.
Everyone is watching me. Some, with narrowed eyes. Others, with wide smiles. I
close my eyes once in relief. They seem to be enjoying the music, but not in a
way which would suggest they’ve fallen under my power’s influence. Lucy smiles
at me sweetly, and Grandmama watches me with approval. Lord Thornewood, though,
watches me with an intense fascination, as if he cannot believe the sound is
truly coming from my mouth. When my heart races in response, I close my eyes
again to block out his mesmerizing face. My reaction is worrisome enough
without taking into account my mother’s warning of gentlemen who prey on people
with abilities. What if he watches me because he can somehow sense the truth? I
almost wish I’d never read that entry. Now I will jump at every shadow.
My voice soars with the song’s crescendo, and then I let it
fall, soft and gentle through the final bars. With the last notes humming in
the air, I rise and give a brief bow of my head to the polite applause. Before
anyone—especially Lord Thornewood—can say a word to me, I make my excuses and
escape to the retiring room.
***
My grandmother breezes into the room, her eyes landing on my face. “Katherine,
what ever could you be doing? Do you intend to remain here for the rest of the
evening?”
I think of the way he watched me with such intensity while I
played the piano, a love for music obvious in the brightness of his eyes. “I’m
sorry, Grandmama, a sudden headache came over me,” I lie.
She tilts her head like she can see right through my words,
but she doesn’t contradict me. “I must say I am very pleased with your musical
talents. You play as well as your mother.”
My grandmother may not have had any love for Mama, but she
did respect her. I smile, but not too brightly, since I’m still keeping up the
façade. “That’s a compliment indeed.”
“You’ve done extraordinarily well tonight.” She holds her
arm out to me. “But we mustn’t keep Lord Thornewood waiting any longer.” She
leans close to my ear as I move toward the door. “You’ve done a wonderful job
of piquing his interest.”
That’s what I was afraid of.
The smart thing to do would be to simper, bat my eyelashes,
and fawn over him as soon as I enter the room. Nothing would deter him faster,
but I find I am incapable of such duplicity.
A footman holds the door for us, and I walk in, my head held
high. If I cannot deter him with foolishness, perhaps a cold demeanor will.
I scan the room for Lucy, but almost everyone has left the
tables, so I can’t find her before my grandmother leads me to Lord Thornewood.
“My lord,” she says, and he turns toward us. Now that we’re
both standing so close to one another, I realize how tall he is. He must stand
at least a head taller than every other person in the room.
Grandmama abandons me with a polite little bow of her head.
I glare at her retreating back.
“Ah, there you are, Miss Sinclair,” he says, his left hand
in the pocket of his trousers. “I’d thought for a moment you were only a
figment of my admittedly over-active imagination.”
“My apologies. I was unaware you sought my attention.”
He takes his hand from his pocket, and he loses some of his
prideful stance. “I was overcome by your talent. I’ve never heard a voice so
beautiful.” The look he gives me is so sincere that an answering warmth spreads
in my chest. But no, I mustn’t be taken in by him.
“You flatter me, my lord.”
“I do not. It was well-deserved.”
I resist the urge to look away from his dark eyes, suddenly
uncomfortable by his attention. “I thank you for the compliment.”
He smiles then, and it takes everything in me not to bat my
eyelashes like a simpering fool. Oh, how painfully handsome he is. Frustration
twists in me at the apparent lack of control I have over my own body.
He leans in close as if to speak to me in confidence. “You
did well to play the piano so beautifully. No doubt you have been told how much
of a music enthusiast I am and sought to snare my attention.”
“Ah, but that would be playing the game, my lord, and I
already assured you I have no intention of doing so.”
He grins at my teasing tone, but his eyes hold a more
serious expression. “You did say that, yes. And I’m surprised to admit I’m
actually disappointed.”
His words rob me of mine, and for many moments, we only stare at one another.
Our brief staring contest is interrupted by Lady Hasting,
who, as all superior hostesses are, is skilled at sensing when any of her
guests have stumbled into an awkward moment. In this case, her mission seems to
have benefits for other guests as she leads over yet another fashionably
dressed lady with daughters in tow. Their tailored corseted dresses are of
complementary jewel tones, as though the mother wanted to present her daughters
as a package of marriage potential to Lord Thornewood.
“My lord,” Lady Hasting says, “you must allow me to
introduce you to Lady Marie Belleview, Countess of Dirkshire.”
The countess embodies my expectations for nobility with
sharp features and haughty air, down to her elaborate dress. The dress is a
rich shade of crimson trimmed in gold embroidery, befitting someone who
outranks nearly everyone here—save for the earl.
The earl’s expression never changes from one of
indifference, but he dips his head politely at least.
“And her daughters,” Lady Hasting continues, “Hyacinth and
Rose.”
They execute perfect curtsies, though I notice Rose bites
her bottom lip to mask her nervousness. This endears them to me more than
anything else, since I now know what it feels like to be carefully groomed for
the sole purpose of securing a gentleman’s interest. My eyes narrow at the earl
when he continues to look unimpressed.
“Pleasure to make your acquaintance,” the earl says, his
tone polite and nothing more.
Rose’s fair complexion hides nothing, and her cheeks flair
pink.
“And have you met the granddaughter of my dear friend, Lady Sinclair?”
Lady Hasting asks the countess.
The countess turns to look at me, her eyes appraising me in
an instant. As her nose remains high in the air, I can only assume she finds me
lacking. “Lovely to meet you,” she says.
I curtsy, smiling in a more genuine way when I look at
Hyacinth and Rose. They return the gesture, Hyacinth’s timid smile not quite as
bright as her sister’s.
I glance at Grandmama, who stands only a few feet away, and
I am ready to leave before my words come ahead of my thoughts again. “I do hope
you’ll excuse me,” I say. “I believe my grandmother and sister are ready to
leave.”
Before I can take more than a few steps in the direction of
Grandmama, the earl easily falls into step beside me. “Leaving already?” he
asks, his voice low.
I have to force myself to take a breath before I speak, else
I know I will stutter. The man knows how to set one on edge. “I’m afraid we
must, my lord. My sister and I only just arrived in Town, and we crave rest
after our trip.”
“Understandable. I’m only sorry our conversation was
interrupted.” He glances back at Lady Hasting and the countess, who are
thankfully having a discussion of their own.
I think of how nervous Hyacinth and Rose were. “Yes, I’m
sure it’s exhausting to be forced to make the acquaintance of so many young
ladies.”
The corners of his lips twitch as if he is suppressing a
grin. “You cannot imagine.”
If he was Robert, I’d roll my eyes at him. As he is the
earl, I can do nothing but smile tightly.
He bends low over my hand. As he barely brushes a kiss
over the sensitive skin, his eyes lock onto mine. “However, I was very pleased
to make your acquaintance, Miss Sinclair. Perhaps escorting you will not be
such a hardship after all.”
About Jessica Leake
I’m a stay-at-home mom of three beautiful children (two toddlers and a newborn, in fact, so I think you can begin to see why my blog may be a bit neglected) and author of Arcana: A Novel (Skyhorse/Talos, November 4, 2014), my debut historical fantasy with a heavy dose of romance. I have a particular obsession with blending different genres, but almost everything I write has an element of fantasy and romance. I’ve been in love with historical England ever since my first literary crush: Mr. Darcy (I can’t even count the number of times I watched Pride & Prejudice–the A&E version, of course!!) I’m represented by the fabulous Brianne Johnson of Writers House, and I live in Greenville, SC.
Before I was a writer, I worked as a psychotherapist. I spent several years working at a psychiatric hospital in Birmingham, AL, but after my husband graduated as a pharmacist, we moved back to Greenville. I claim Greenville as my hometown now since I spent most of my childhood here, and I’m a proud alumna of St. Joseph’s Catholic School and Winthrop University.
Before I was a writer, I worked as a psychotherapist. I spent several years working at a psychiatric hospital in Birmingham, AL, but after my husband graduated as a pharmacist, we moved back to Greenville. I claim Greenville as my hometown now since I spent most of my childhood here, and I’m a proud alumna of St. Joseph’s Catholic School and Winthrop University.
Tour-Wide Giveaway
- $25 Amazon gift card & personalized hardcover of Arcana (INT)
- Two personalized hardcovers of Arcana + swag (US only)
- One ebook of Arcana (INT - Mobi or Epub)
Ends November 23rd
Come along and follow the tour!
11/4
11/5
11/6
11/7
11/9
11/10
11/11
11/12
11/13
11/14
11/16 - Grand Finale




No comments:
Post a Comment