Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Book Tour {Interview & Giveaway} Parched by Georgia Clark

A themed tour with Prism Book Tours.

ParchedParched
by Georgia Clark
YA Romantic Sci-Fi
Hardcover, 312 Pages
March 14th 2014 by Holiday House

Robots, renewable resources, and romance get tangled together in this thrilling futuristic adventure novel about a utopian city struggling to keep its peace.

"Bold futurist adventure with unusual romance, riveting action and ominous ecological red flags." —Kirkus Reviews

Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Indie Bound

Georgia Clark is an Australian writer and performer based in Brooklyn. She is the author of the young adult novels SHE’S WITH THE BAND (Allen & Unwin) and sci-fi/romance PARCHED (Holiday House). Widely published online and in print. Won some awards/grants/residencies. Has a play on at the NY Fringe festival. Pretty keen on cheese plates.



Georgia is gearing up to teach a short, online writing class about writing sci-fi through a Lit Reactor course. Want to go check it out and join? Go HERE! Begins January 14th.


Interview

What makes you like to write?
I was an avid reader as a kid: I grew up without TV or the internet (my parents were hippies and we lived near the bush in Australia), so I had my nose in a book from a very young age. Vey fond memories of The Dark is Rising series, cementing a lifelong for fantastical adventure. I studied screenwriting and film-making at university, and after graduating, worked as a freelance writer in one capacity or the other. So part of the answer is, I’m good at it, and we naturally gravitate to doing what we have some skill for, right? Also, I’m attracted to challenges, specifically creatively demanding, you’d-have-to-be-crazy kind of challenges. I love being told a story, and I love telling them. And I love being able to work in bed, in my pajamas. Hence, novel writing!

Who designed the book cover?
An illustrator called Allen Garns. I didn’t have anything to do with the cover: the first time I saw it was after it had been finished!

Who is your favorite character in your book and why?
Ooh, hard question. I love them all! I’m very close to Tess, the main character, because we’re in her head, and I can definitely relate to her: she’s like my most badass side. I adore Hunter: I have such a soft spot for nerdy, socially awkward guys... who have secret. The unofficial leader of Kudzu, Ling is very cool; her right hand gal Naz is such a hard-ass too. I can’t choose! Maybe Hunter? For the geek boy factor? Yay for geeks!

When did you start writing?
I wrote short stories in primary school (that’s Australian for middle school) and high school, and made zines (handmade magazines) and wrote bad poetry at uni. I’ve worked as freelance writer ever since I graduated, with some brief-ish periods of travel or unemployment peppered throughout. I guess I’ve always been a writer! My first novel, She’s With The Band, was published when I was 28.

How many books did you write before you were published?
My first book was published, but then I write a middle grade novel that wasn’t published, called Tigerskins Incorporated, about a girl who solves mysteries. I didn’t know the genre well enough: I was arrogant enough to think I could sell a book based on my assumptions. Bad mistake! You must be a hungry reader of your genre if you’re going to have any success.

Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?
I’m just about to finish my first adult contemporary novel, tentatively titled The Regulars. It’s set in Brooklyn, where I live, and is about beauty: how beauty standards affect us, how much of our identity is affected by our appearance, how to negotiate your feelings about your face. My goal is for it to be funny and truthful and sexy, an impactful, for women, in meaningful way. I love it a lot and am crossing my fingers we land a good deal!

Also, I’m teaching a short, online course this month (January) through a site called Lit Reactor. It’s about creating a compelling sci-fi premise for a short story or novel. If you’ve always wanted to write a sci-fi, or you’re just looking for something to kickstart your imagination, sign up!

All the things! (in order of preference if you don’t want to include them all)







Tour-Wide Giveaway

$20 Amazon Gift Card (INT)
Signed copy of Parched (US only)
Ends January 25th

Follow the January Tour!

Prism Book Tours


No comments: