The House on Sunset
By- Lindsay Fischer
Genre- Memoir/Women’s Fiction
Lindsay Fischer was once a high school English teacher with dreams stretching far outside the classroom. When her boyfriend of a year-and-a-half cheated on her, Lindsay found herself alone, looking online for a replacement. His name was Mike.
That’s where the nightmare started.
The House on Sunset is a memoir, a collection of reminiscences, scattering the ashes of two broken homes and putting them to rest. Each chapter offers a different glimpse inside the cycle of intimate partner violence, where honeymoon phases and traumas coexist.
Everyone could fall victim to abusers. This book bravely displays the reasons a quirky, twenty-something teacher would, and did.
About the Author
Lindsay Fischer graduated from Missouri State University with a Bachelor of Science in secondary education, English. An avid reader and learner, Lindsay took her passion for words into a classroom before starting a writing career. Life pulled her from the classroom, providing an opportunity to use her voice against domestic violence, blogging under the pseudonym, Sarafina Bianco, since 2009. You can find her words at survivorswillbeheard.com and speak directly to her when she hosts #domesticviolencechat on Twitter. Lindsay hopes to be an advocate for women, men and children who still live inside the nightmare of their abuse. She currently lives with her husband and three dogs, including Watson, in St. Louis, Missouri.
Please tell us about
yourself using 3 adjectives, 1 quirk and a pop culture addiction
I’m a “retired” teacher,
a bourbon drinking sassy-ass storyteller and fiercely loyal friend who loves
Netflix binges more with my husband by my side.
Top 3 Pet Peeves
Having to repeat myself
(a hazard of my former life in the classroom)
People who cut down
societal movements by pointing out something unrelated to the importance of the
movement (i.e. “Black Lives Matter” vs. “All Lives Matter” and sexual
inequality vs. people who argue “some women do xyz.”
Strappy sandals (rule:
only one strap between my toes)
Who do you consider the
most swoon-worthy man/woman in the literary world? How about on tv/in the
movies?
Erik Fiskare in The Man I
Love by Suanne Laqueur is an absolute dream. Handsome, intelligent, generous
and passionate (like, whoa). If you haven’t read this book, you’ll fall for
him. Everyone does.
Sawyer in LOST was
crush-worthy, though he had some unhealthy defense mechanisms. I did adore him
by the end of the series, how dedicated he was to the woman he loved (and, hi,
he’s pretty in a rugged way).
Top 5 Favorite Things
5. So You Think You Can
Dance
4. Travel
3. Writing
2. My pooches (including
Huckleberry, who is in my memoir)
1. The man who stood beside
me through my abuse/trauma recovery (my husband)
What are your thoughts on
book covers- in your opinion do they make or break a book?
Book covers don’t make or
break the book, but they do appeal to a certain demographic of the audience who
values the visual elements of artistry. I worked very hard on my cover for that
reason. It’s smart to think about the gut and impulse buyers who see something
and say, “Hell, I’ll give it a shot.” Of course, I also worked hard to make
sure my cover hinted at the content. A confusing cover could be the dementor’s
kiss in terms of those buyers (if the cover doesn’t match the tone/voice people
can be turned off). Are covers important? Heck yes.
What’s the last song you
listened to?
“Smells like Teen Spirit”
by Nirvana. I have an eclectic taste in music (thanks, mom and dad). From Carly
Simon to REM and Lana Del Rey. Shout out to Hozier. I usually let my iPhone
shuffle through without making any decisions. Car rides are more fun that way.
How do you come up with character names? How do you come up with novel titles?
I had to be very, very careful to make sure I was
protecting the people (and places) in my memoir, so I think my experience might
be different than someone developing fictitious characters. Having said that, I
picked names I loved (or disliked, depending on the character).
Do you have any advice
for anyone that would like to be an author?
Yes. Keep writing. Face
your fear and continue anyway. You can polish a turd, but if you don’t produce
one (sorry, I had to) you have nothing to improve on.
Every writer fears that
their writing is going to suck, no matter how many books they’ve written. It’s
part of the process, but it shouldn’t stop you. Once you get over the fact that
it’s inevitable for someone to hate what you produce, you’ll realize that means
there’s room for someone to love it too. Apathy, friends, is what we should
fear. Because if nobody cares, nobody is buying.
Keep. Writing. Every.
Damn. Day.
This or That-
*Morning or Night? Night
*Vanilla or
Chocolate? Chocolate (unless we’re
talking frozen yogurt or custard)
*Summer or Winter?
Summer, please!
*Ebook or Paperback? I love
the smell of new books. #teampaperback
*Fantasy or Paranormal?
Paranormal, no doubt about it.
Links



No comments:
Post a Comment