Friday, June 20, 2014

Blog Tour ~ Interview with The Baffled Beatlemania Caper by Sally Carpenter

  

 Self-Published
Cozy Mystery
ASIN: B00J5MJL1S

Synopsis

 In the 1970s, teen idol Sandy Fairfax recorded 10 gold records and starred in the hit TV show Buddy Brave, Boy Sleuth. Now he’s a 38-year-old recovering alcoholic with dead bodies getting in the way of his comeback! An easy gig as the guest celebrity at a Midwest Beatles fan convention turns deadly when a member of the tribute band is murdered. When the police finger Sandy as the prime suspect, the boy sleuth is back in action to interpret the “Beatle-ly” clues and find the killer.

About The Author

Sally Carpenter is native Hoosier now living in Moorpark, Calif.

She has a master’s degree in theater from Indiana State University. While in school her plays “Star Collector” and “Common Ground” were finalists in the American College Theater Festival One-Act Playwrighting Competition. “Common Ground” also earned a college creative writing award and “Star Collector” was produced in New York City.

Carpenter also has a master’s degree in theology and a black belt in tae kwon do.

She’s worked as an actress, college writing instructor, theater critic, jail chaplain and tour guide/page for Paramount Pictures. She’s now employed at a community newspaper.

“The Baffled Beatlemaniac Caper,” was a 2012 Eureka! Award finalist for best first mystery novel.

“The Sinister Sitcom Caper,” the second in the Sandy Fairfax Teen Idol series, is published by Cozy Cat Press. The third book, “The Cunning Cruise Ship Caper,” is due in 2015.

Her short story, “Dark Nights at the Deluxe Drive-in,” appears in the 2013 anthology “Last Exit to Murder.”

“Faster Than a Speeding Bullet” was published in the “Plan B: Vol. 2” e-book anthology.

Her short story “The Pie-eyed Spy” appeared in the Nov. 23, 2013, issue of Kings River Life ezine.

She’s a member of Sisters in Crime/Los Angeles and “mom” to two black cats.

Interview

How much of a story did you have in mind before you started writing?
I pretty well have the story set before I start the first draft. My stories tend to take place within a short time span—in this book, only three days—so I need to get the action started quickly and not waste time revealing the clues and red herrings. Plotting the story before hand keeps me from getting “stuck” in the middle and from wandering around on a meaningless digression.

Can you tell us what genre you write?
I write a humorous cozy mystery series about a former ‘70s teen idol/TV star who’s now a 38-year-old recovering alcoholic making a comeback.

How do you cope with writer’s block?
I don’t particularly have writer’s block; it’s more of writer’s procrastination. I’ll do housework, read the newspaper, and do other things to keep from writing. Sometimes I just have to “push” to get started. I also had to make priorities. I recently took myself off a writers’ listserve/discussion group because I was spending too much time each day reading and responding to emails. I limit my other activities as well to make time for writing.

Is there a message in your writing you want readers to grasp?
Initially most readers just see the mystery, the goofy characters and the humor. But within that is a story of redemption. My protagonist, Sandy Fairfax, let alcohol ruin his career and his family life. Now he’s sober and trying to reconnect with his estranged family members, including his kids. He’s also struggling to get back into an industry that’s changed and forgotten him. He’s battling his personal demons as well as working on relationships.

What are you working on right now?
I’ve finished the second book of the series, “The Sinister Sitcom Caper,” which picks up from where “Baffled Beatlemaniac” stops. The third book is “the Cunning Cruise Ship Caper.” Sandy has a weeklong gig of concerts aboard a Bahamas cruise ship. He’s trying to make amends with his sister, who’s performing with him. Also onboard is one of his neurotic ex-girlfriends as well as a woman he’d like to link up with. But before he can say “Heartbreak Hotel,” Sandy finds a dead body in his backstage dressing room.

At what age did you discover your love of writing?
I’ve always loved stories. I grew up watching TV and reading books. I’d make up stories to pass the time as mom and I were washing and drying dishes. I’d make up stories in my head during rides on the school bus and when I was bored but I didn’t have the discipline to write it down until I was older.

What was the first story that you wrote?
The first piece I had published was a short puppet play I wrote when I was in high school. My high school had a TV studio. The senior TV production class produced puppet shows that we broadcast to the local elementary schools via closed circuit TV (this was in the 1970s!). My “payment” for the play was a free puppet (I picked a rabbit) that I gave back to the school to use in the shows.

What do you like to read?
Other cozy mysteries as well as books on Bible studies and Catholicism. Seems a bit weird to read a spiritual book one minute and a book about murder and crime the next!

If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, which actors would you like to see playing your characters?
That’s hard to say. My protagonist is six-foot-two, 38 years old and has long blond hair, blue eyes and a cute, boyish face. He sings, dances and plays guitar and piano. I don’t know of any famous actors who fit the criteria!

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about yourself?
Thank you for letting me stop by on my blog tour! I had a blast!

GoodReads: (kindle version not on GR yet)

Purchase Links Amazon B&N

No comments: