this was a great story…
This was a delightfully charming book…
Harris has written a fantastic story…
Rosemary Harris has written a fantastic read.
~Shelley’s Book Case
~Shelley’s Book Case
THE BITCHES OF BROOKLYN moves at a steady pace, grabbing your attention at the beginning and not letting go until the very end.
~Thoughts in Progress
~Thoughts in Progress
Paperback: 322 pages
Publisher: Chestnut Hill Books (October 2, 2013)
ISBN-13: 978-0989697019
E-Book File Size: 469 KB
ASIN: B00E3XMPN0
Synopsis
Are they really bitches? That depends who you ask…Rachel, Clare, Tina and Jane are four friends awaiting the arrival of a fifth at a secluded Cape Cod bungalow where they spend an all-girls weekend every summer. But this time the fifth woman doesn’t show. Instead she sends a note that reads – “I’ve run off with one of your men.”
Has she? Is it a prank? Do they run for the phone or try to enjoy the weekend without her?
Fun, flirty and filled with Harris’ trademark snappy dialogue and quirky characters forced to reevaluate their marriages, their friendships and their memories, The Bitches of Brooklyn has been called “a cross between Pretty Little Liars and Sex and the City.”
Elaine Viets, author of Catnapped! has said “the best female buddy book yet. I dare you to put it down!”
Inspired by a classic Hollywood film, The Bitches of Brooklyn is for fans of Sophie Kinsella, Susan Isaacs and every woman who’s ever had a best friend and wondered…is she really??
About the Author
Rosemary Harris is a native Brooklynite, like some of the characters in The Bitches of Brooklyn. A former bookstore manager and television executive, she’s the author of the Dirty Business mystery series featuring amateur sleuth Paula Holliday. Her debut novel, the Agatha and Anthony-nominated, Pushing Up Daisies (Minotaur), was followed by The Big Dirt Nap, Dead Head and Slugfest. The Bitches of Brooklyn is the first in a new series. Rosemary is past president of Mystery Writers of America’s NY Chapter and Sisters in Crime’s New England Chapter.
She lives in New York City and Fairfield County, CT.
She blogs with seven other mystery writers at www.jungleredwriters.com.
Visit Rosemary at www.rosemaryharris.com
Like her on facebook at www.facebook.com/RosemaryHarriswriter
Purchase Links:
Mummified Baby Identified
By Rosemary Harris
Lots of readers
and mystery fans want to know where writers get their ideas; the answers range
from the smart-alecky (“Wal-Mart’s, aisle three”) to the earnest (“my whole
life prepared me to write this book.”) In my case, the answer is simple – The
New York Times.
The Metro briefing
section in The New York Times is a catch-all, snippets of news from around the
tri-state area, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. Nascent scandals, too
small to make the front page in anything other than the tabloid news, missing
persons, local crimes – stories just sneaking into the radar of the Times find
their way to the Metro briefing section.
This particular
day Metro briefing was good for more than a few laughs. Mummified Baby
Identified. How had I missed Mummified Baby Found? Perhaps I’d been
pouring over garden catalogs – the way we gardeners do when it’s too cold to do
anything outside except fill the birdfeeders.
I’m convinced that
if this tiny story had appeared in mid-June instead of mid-winter, I wouldn’t
be writing this article. I probably would have yelled to my husband, “hey,
listen to this” and moved on. But it was the dead of winter. My favorite
basketball team was once again embarrassing themselves on the court (as they
are again this year)and my favorite baseball team wasn’t even close to spring
training. I had time.
I dug into the
archives of the local newspaper in the town where the baby was found and
discovered that the sweet little old lady who may have been the child’s mother
had also achieved some notoriety thirty years earlier, for allegedly trying to
hire a hit man to kill the wife of a man with whom she’d been obsessed. This
was getting good.
That same day I had
a telephone interview with one of the doctors who had assisted in the baby’s autopsy
and learned the mummified baby hadn’t been definitively identified; the medical
examiner simply decided that with the two likeliest candidates for mother dead
and buried, and the baby having apparently died of natural causes, there was
little point in going through the expense of exhuming the women’s bodies and
conducting DNA testing. Case closed. Or rather, no case. So the Times article
was not exactly accurate.
I was hooked.
First, by this intriguing story delivered into my lap with the morning paper,
and then by the fact that it was so easy to get information. (The doctor I
spoke with also gave me an unusual fact that I turned into a clue for my
amateur sleuth.)
Anxious to get
back into the garden, one way or another, I created Paula Holliday, a
transplanted city girl who moves to the suburbs to start a gardening business
and finds herself digging up more than just the petunias the first day of her
biggest job. Pushing Up Daisies was my version of the mummified baby
story.
Four books later,
I’m still taking fun, feisty females on adventures. This time, four friends
learn that a fifth may have run off with one of their men. Has she? Is it a
joke?
Read an excerpt here and see what you think.
Hosted by
No comments:
Post a Comment